Sunday, January 18, 2015

My Hands

Kathy asked that we share a picture of our slow stitching hands today, so here I am quilting the border of my pink scrap quilt.  My hands, thankfully, to not get tired when quilting because I do not rock the needle.  My right hand stays still and pushes the needle.  The left hand (underneath) has a thimble on it and it pushes up.  I started quilting this way long ago because I could never get used to a sore finger underneath.


I remember when I first learned to hand quilt I thought "This is supposed to be relaxing???  You've got to be kidding!"  I thought it was so unnatural and the quilt was always in my way.  Of course it didn't help that I chose the fluffiest batting I could find!  But I persevered and now I agree that hand quilting is one of the most relaxing things a person can do.

This is what happens to the thimble on my left hand.  I have to replace them about once a year when I poke a hole in them.   I'm glad its the thimble and not my finger that looks like Swiss cheese.   I need the metal thimbles with the flat top (no ridge) and they are getting more difficult to find each year.  I've become a thimble hoarder. 


10 comments:

  1. Do you piece by hand as well? You've drawn in a really pretty quilting design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom piece by hand, although I do applique. I really love to piece on the machine. I have something like 20 tops waiting to be quilted. Isn't that awful? Thank you about the design. I found it in a book of Amish motifs.

      Delete
  2. I agree about poked fingers! Ouch! Funny how we all find what works for us when we have a passion to do it. I am learning to do walking foot straight line quilting and oh boy is that hard work. Like wrestling an alligator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, am working on machine quilting. So far, I haven't had much luck (see my post of June 2014). I do much better with free motion and the feed dogs dropped. I sure do wish I'd develop a passion for machine quilting - maybe all these unquilted tops would get done.

      Delete
  3. I have never been comfortable with the metal thimbles and usually use a leather one. Is the one with holes a plastic one? It looks orange in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thimble is metal. I think it just looks orange because of the flash I used.

      Delete
  4. Would love to see your hand quilting technique up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are ever in California, I'd be happy to show you!

      Delete
  5. Loved seeing your photos! My under finger does look like swiss cheese today!
    So wonderful to see everyone's individual style of stitching.
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you started this link. I look forward to Sundays for slow stitching and seeing other stitchers' work. Thank you!

      Delete