Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Little Slow Stitching

I'm still working on quilting my pink scrappy quilt.  One more pass across and the center will be complete.  I'm going to do a more elaborate design in the wide border.  Its amazing how much you can get done by just allocating an hour a day to hand quilting. 


 

I've also been busy piecing.  I finished Bonnie's Grand Illusion top on Friday.  I worked hard to keep up with each clue, and the quilt came together quickly in the end.  I wasn't sure I liked it at first because it seemed so busy and it is definitely out of my comfort zone.  Actually, its growing on me.  I think it will be a cheerful addition to the guest room come springtime.   


I belong to the Jo Morton Yahoo group and the gals have come up with a great WIP plan for the year.  We were to list 12 projects that we want to either finish or move further along.  At the beginning of each month, a number is chosen and we are to work on the project on our list that corresponds that number.  There are very few rules:  You can finish, make progress or switch to another project.  This month I finished a Thimbleberries top that was about 1/3 complete.  I finished cutting and sewing the blocks and then sewed them to the 1/3 I already had.  This was an OLD project (2001).  Apparently I'm a much more accurate piecer now, because my new blocks were bigger than my old ones.  I just sort of eased them in.  I think hope if I quilt it with a slightly thicker batting, I can disguise the problem.

 


7 comments:

  1. Your Grand Illusion is lovely and good for you for tackling your UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of people are facing their UFO. It is a good feeling to finish something. I agree sometimes just spending an hour a day at something really helps to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects. You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty pink scrappy quilt. I should allocate a bit of time for needlework per day as it is amazing how it adds up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the mystery! it is a busy quilt design but lots of fun.
    Enjoy your hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who suggested I really think through my sewing room and get rid of any furniture/storage that didn't work. Setting up a workspace that is orderly and efficient made a HUGE difference for me. I'm going back to finish pieces because my area is ready for me to work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...also, LOVE the Thimbleberries quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete