Sunday, August 24, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching



Today I will be joining my friend Nancy and her mother for slow stitching.  We all love to hand quilt..In fact, Vivian (Nancy's mom) has never ever had one of her quilts quilted by a machine of any type.  She hand quilts every single one of them!  Unlike most of us, she doesn't have a backlog of tops that need quilting.  Nancy keeps hoping her mom will run out and quilt some of her tops for her, but Viv just tells her she can do them herself.  Viv is 93 years old and still quilts several hours every day.  I once asked her why she didn't machine quilt and she looked at me like I was crazy.  "I like to hand quilt.  It's my favorite part of the process." she replied.

I'm going to be working on one of two things.  The blue and cheddar quilt is basted and ready for quilting.  I just need to decide on a thread color.



  If it is too hot to have a quilt on my lap then I will applique the leaves and stems on the "Where Poppies Grow" BOM.  I'm falling behind on this BOM.  This is block 4 for me, and block 8 was just released last week.  The piecing and applique is time consuming, so I have to be fully alert and in the mood to start a block.

Enjoy your Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. She's absolutely right...for many it is the best part of the process ( me too )

    Lovely projects here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hand quilting also! I hope I can continue to quilt into my golden years too! That is a very comforting thought. Your blue and cheddar quilt is gorgeous! I have a friend doing the WW 1 quilt, hope to see yours as your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a newbie to hand quilting. Only just finished a second bed sized quilt but after a frustrating start I have learned to love the process and the look. That blue/cheddar quilt is stunning.

    Go Viv!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blue/cheddar quilt is a beauty. Wow do those stars just pop! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blue and cheddar quilt is beautiful. Do you give lessons in hand quilting? I've always wanted to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect day! Next time you gals get together, take pictures and share with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue + cheddar -- one of my favorite color combos. Your quilt is gorgeous!
    I'll leave hand quilting to the other Vivian. It sounds like she absolutely loves doing it, and I get nervous just threading the needle, if I'm planning to do a little hand quilting. I don't do it well (even with a lot of practice on little quilts). It's not for me, but to each her own. I admire hand quilted quilts. They're always beauties.
    BTW -- I'm glad I found your blog (from a link on Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday). Many of your projects remind me of mine, or ones I have on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete