I have two projects to switch back and forth from today for slow stitching. The first is to applique the swags onto the borders of my Hugs & Kisses quilt. I started this quilt in 2009, and once I get the border finished, the top will finally be done. I am, most definitely, a SLOOOOW appliquer/quilter. The quilt was designed by Sue Garman for The Quilt Show BOM. She made her beautiful quilt in blue and green, but I decided on yellow, cheddar, and green. It will probably take another 5 years after that to get the quilting finished.
If I get tired of hand applique, I can always work on the current quilt in the hoop. This is a scrap quilt that I'm quilting with an overall Baptist fan design. It's still rather warm here in California -90 degrees is our projected high for today, so I'm not sure I want a big quilt on my lap.
In any case, I should probably get my handwork in before 4:30, as my beloved Giants are playing game 2 against the Cardinals. I often quilt while watching TV, but these playoff games are just too exciting to multi-task through.
Go Giants!!!
Your applique project is gorgeous! I love the fabrics you chose. It gives the quilt a wonderfully cheerful retro appeal.
ReplyDeleteI grew up near Chicago and the cardinals were always our rivals so I will be rooting for the Giants also! I am getting close to starting my first swag borders so I understand how nice it is to get to this point. These applique quilts are not for the faint at heart! It will be well worth all those wonderful stitches, at least I keep telling myself that! But it is good to take breaks from it, they can become to intense sometimes!
ReplyDeleteLove the cheddar and yellow
ReplyDeleteThe applique quilt caught my eye. Pretty yellow quilt.
ReplyDeleteI love appliqued swag borders - yours looks great in such a sunny yellow!
ReplyDeleteI love baptist fan quilting... it looks great!
ReplyDeleteAnd congrats on nearing the end of the appliqued top :)