Sunday, June 29, 2014

I'm a Hand Quilter Because. . . .

I'm a hand quilter.  I find it relaxing and I just love the little indentations made by the stitches.  I am, however, a realist and I know that if I'm going to finish tops, some are going to have to be machine quilted.  I send the large ones out to long arm quilters and am very happy with the results, but I decided to try and quilt the small ones.  As I mentioned last post, I took a Craftsy class on machine quilting and learned a lot. I was so proud of myself.  The matchstick quilting was moving along and providing a nice texture. 

Here is the work in progress (so far so good)



Here is the finished quilt.  OH NO!  Its a parallelogram not a rectangle!  I tried blocking it, but it didn't work.  I guess the diagonal quilting stretched the top out of shape.  Oh well, I'll consider it a learning experience and I now have a cute picnic quilt for lunch with the grandkids.
The binding was my Slow Sunday Stitching.  I'm going to try to link up with Kathy.

9 comments:

  1. My quilts never come out perfectly rectangular either. I like the match stick quilting it really adds dimension to this pretty quilt. I am visiting from SSS. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used that on a bag class I took on Craftsy, so much fun! It is a perfect picnic size quilt, I am sure the grandkids won't care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the wonky shape, but it is a pretty quilt in any case. I am sure after a bit of use, nobody will notice the angles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others.... no one will notice once they are using it or snuggling under such a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! Well, I still think it's a quilt I could yummy right up to and snuggle in. The perfect quilt for the swing out on the porch on a nippy spring evening! I am having fun popping into everyone's posts from Slow Sunday Stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you said a learning experience. I think either you have to always quilt from top to bottom or you have to alternate. I never remember which. Just switch whichever you did next time. Not much help I know but I remember reading about this problem somewhere and one of the above was the solution. I believe it was the second option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my... I've not seen that happen before? I'm sure you won't notice when it is spread out under a picnic lunch, or is a tent for children to play under!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried to wash it and then block your quilt into a rectangle shape? It might work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have your email -- but teamwork Mammograms is an awesome way to go...and I believe in the power of a united front. You should share that with more people.... I'm so glad you stopped by my journal...

    ReplyDelete